Solomon House was built in 1836 as a general store by Joseph Solomon, a transported convict who was also one of the founders of Melbourne. Solomon Cottage was built as a bakery in 1838 and provided bread to the Evandale garrison and convicts including Red Kelly, the father of Ned Kelly. The bakery operated until the 1960's and was converted to a cottage in the 1980's.

Solomon House has traded as a general store, rabbit pelts, tea rooms, restaurant & cafe and currently as a retro-fashion shop. The General store was raided by bushrangers in the 1860's. Every owner since 1836 is documented, one of Joseph Solomon's great grandson's became Premier of Tasmania.